At the end of 2016 a major topic in the black beauty community was top Google searches relating to beauty. After reading Nikki Brown’s article for Essence entitled, “Here Are Answers To The Most Googled Questions of 2016” and conducting some research of our own we have compiled a list of anticipated beauty trends for 2017:
- Feed-in Cornrows- While this trend took off in the Summer of 2016, we began to see a variation in partings, number of braids, braid patterns and more. This style is likely to stick around well into the beginning of 2017.
- The Half Pony Tail and Half Top Knot- This classic style is projected to continue into 2017. In the beginning of 2016 we saw the style being done with braids and natural hair, toward the end of 2016 this style also become popular amongst bonded and sewn in extension wearers. We project more variations of this style well into the Spring of 2017.
- Highlights and lowlights- While balayage is said to have gotten a large amount of searches in 2016, we anticipate a spike in the popularity of highlights and lowlights. The gradient look provided by using the balayage technique typically renders 2 dimensional hair, whereas intentional highlights and lowlights can render 3 or more; this begets more versatility in 2017!
- More nudes for nails- We’ve witnessed an expansion in nudes for footwear companies like Converse and Puma, likewise for many clothing companies. We also received insight from budding nail artists Riah about trending colors and all signs point to nudes for nails in 2017! According to Riah “people are going for the more natural look” and we agree!
- Natural Makeup-We can also expect natural make up looks in 2017, specifically an emergence of glosses and neutral lip colors (not that bold matte colors will ever go out of style).
We can’t wait to see if our trend forecast is accurate as we enter into 2017. We ask that our beauty community share your predictions as well.